Monday 24 September 2012

My Schoenhut Miss Dolly

After falling in love with a blogger friend's Schoenhut 'Miss Dolly', I decided I really wanted one to add to my doll collection.  I liked the fact that she is completely made of wood, china and porcelain dolls worry me as I would be scared to handle them in case they broke, and I really want my dolls to be more than just display dolls.  Of course I am supposed to be cutting down on my dolls and stopping my doll purchases, but she was bought from the US on Ebay before I had my reality check!  She has finally arrived today after a long time...stuck in customs!  Their exorbitant fees now paid she is finally home.  


First impressions are...

I'm really pleased I have her she is everything I thought she would be and more.  She feels really good in my hands and arms and has a good weight.  She requires some work, but I knew that when I bought her.  I would never have been able to afford and justify one in minty condition.  I always think wear adds character to a doll anyway, I like to think it shows how much they have been loved in the past.  She has an old replacement human hair wig that I am hoping will tidy up nicely.  I will have to read up on how to care for such a wig.  I will also have to find out how to remove some of the paint to her body as she has been poorly repainted.

My husband thinks she is horrible unfortunately, but then he is a confirmed Sasha & Gregor doll lover, although he probably wouldn't appreciate me writing that!  Of all the dolls I have had and currently have, Sasha and Gregor are the only dolls he has liked.  Henry being his favourite of course.


She is wearing a vintage nightgown, again not original to her, but it is nicely handmade and with a careful wash should come up looking lovely and crisp.  She brought her little wooden doll with her which is signed on the bottom, although I can't quite make out the signature...looks like it starts with Bob... something.


She hasn't told me her name yet, but I am sure that will come as I start to clean her up and work on her.  


I know she wouldn't be everyone's 'cup of tea', but I am really glad I have her, and she will be a keeper for sure.  I liked and admired her from when I first saw her photo on Evilbay and kept going back to look at her.  She had been the only one to really draw my eye, so I do feel like she is meant to be mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note I have been going through my doll collection like a whirl wind and been making huge and sometimes quite ruthless, often heartbreaking decisions in order to get back on track.  (in reference to my blog post over here.   Once you start it doesn't seem quite so hard and I have listed over 35 items, mostly dolls and have sold four so far.  I have put loads of photos on here of dolls for sale, most of which are on Ebay, but if you are interested in something do email me to ask any questions, or how much they are as I haven't got round to putting prices on here yet.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! I have long admired these dolls too and hope to one day have at least one. There is just something very sweet & special about them. And I love wooden dolls. So it's only natural that I'm drawn to these as well as others.
    I'm so happy for you! About this sweet dolly and your dolly sales. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment, I hope you have enjoyed it.